9 Dangerous Foods for Your Dog!

We’ve all seen it, the look of a dog’s eyes staring up at us when we are just trying to go about our daily business – all your furry friend wants is some food and you wouldn’t be blamed for giving them a little snack or two as it can be very hard to resist!

Unfortunately, there are some foods out there that can be potentially life-threatening to your dog and you will definitely want to steer clear of.

If you are ever in doubt on what to give your dog, keep it simple by only giving them dog-friendly treats from the pet store or a supermarket.

With Halloween right around the corner, it’s more important than ever to clamp down on your dogs safety with lots of chocolate and pumpkins floating around – it’s a very dangerous place for a dog to be wandering around.

Let’s kick this off with by far the most well-known food that’s harmful to dogs!

  • Chocolate 
All forms of chocolate are dangerous to your dog due to the cocoa butter found in most chocolates. There’s a very harmful chemical in cocoa butter called theobromine – formerly known as xantheose, similar to caffeine. In large amounts, this can be lethal to your dog. The level of danger really depends on the type of chocolate – with dark chocolate and baking chocolate being the worse for dogs.
  • Avocado 
It’s essential that you don’t leave your burritos lying around because avocados contain a lethal chemical called parsin with side effects that include vomiting and severe diarrhoea. Some dogs have no reaction to avocados while others suffer extensively. If you’re in doubt it’s best to steer clear of them all together as the large stone poses a big risk in its own right.
  • Cow’s Milk
While Cow’s milk is not actually dangerous to a dog in regards to chemicals, it should be avoided due to most dogs naturally being lactose-intolerant and are also unable to digest the natural sugar that comes in milk. Similar to how lactose-intolerant humans would react, your dog is likely to suffer stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea.  This applies to anything that contains milk including butter and ice cream.
  • Salt
Just as it is for humans, salt doesn’t have any health benefits at all for dogs and should be avoided when and wherever possible. It’s even more deadly to dogs than it is to us. Salt poisoning can cause some eye-watering effects to your pup including seizures, diarrhoea, vomiting, tremors, kidney damage and, worse of all, death. Never add salt to your dogs food for any reason at all, and please keep any food/snacks with excessive amounts of salt out of reach.
  • Onions (& the onion family)
All members that are in the onion family (inc. Chives, Garlic, Leeks and Shallots) are extremely toxic to dogs. The types of vegetables contain something called organosulfides which interferes with the red blood cells in your dog, potentially making them explode and cause anaemia. Both cooked and raw onions (& co) are just as dangerous as each other to pets. Even small amounts are lethal to dogs, as little as a quarter of a cup can do some serious damage to a 10kg dog.
  • Nuts
There are a few specific nuts that are very dangerous for pets these are macadamia, pistachios, pecans, almonds, walnuts and hickory nuts are the ones to watch out for. While there are simply too many symptoms to list, we’ll list some of the most critical ones; hickory and mouldy pecans can cause seizures or neurological symptoms, almonds, macadamias and pistachios cause stomach upsets and walnuts intestinal upset. It’s not worth giving your dog any form of nuts to snack on, there are so many dangerous side-effects to giving your dog nuts that overrule any good that they may bring.
  • Grapes/Raisins
We don’t really have a reason why grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs, but they still do remain a problem to your pet regardless. If your dog were to eat grapes and/or raisins it may result in diarrhoea, dehydration, renal failure and abdominal pain.  You should visit a veterinarian as soon as you discover that your dog has eaten any of these. Any quantities should be treated with the utmost urgency and reported immediately.
  • Liquor
There’s no reason why your dog should be around liquor unless there is a dog pictured on the label. Dogs cannot be around liquor as it can easily induce alcohol poisoning. It’s also known to depress your dogs nervous system, damage its liver and slow its heart rate. All it would take is one shot of a hard liquor to kill a small dog. The higher the content of alcohol, the bigger the risk of it seriously damaging your pet. So, when the drinks come round, keep your little friend as far away as possible from it!
  • Raw Eggs
Cooked eggs are completely fine for dogs and can safely be eaten if cooked entirely and properly. However, raw eggs are rumoured to be dangerous to dogs due to the matter that they can carry salmonella to us humans. Experts may dispute the risk but it’s always worth going off your own judgment and not what someone on the internet says (that includes us!).

Should your dog ever come into any of the foods/substances by accident, you should get professional help from a veterinarian immediately and treat it as a top priority. Repeated occurrences can result in lasting damage to your dog and possibly even death.

We wouldn’t want anything to happen to your furry little friend, so we really do hope that you’ll take our advice and steer clear of anything listed above.

Please do bear in mind that everything in this post is strictly advisory and has been gathered from various reputable sources from the internet. We’re not vets, and you should always seek professional advice if you ever have concerns.

Thanks for reading. If you have anything that you would like us to cover, then feel free to get in touch with us over on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!