Toxic Food for Dogs

Toxic Food for Dogs

Toxic Food For Dogs.

As tempting as it might be to share your food with you pooch, you need to be very careful you don't give them something toxic.

Some food and drink that we enjoy can be extremely toxic and dangerous to dogs and can result in sickness or even death. It’s important as dog owners to know which foods are toxic or dangerous.

Alcohol – This sounds like a really obvious one. You should, under no circumstances, give your dog any form of alcohol; it is incredibly toxic to dogs.

 Dogs are believed to be much more sensitive to the affects of ethanol, so even a small amount of alcohol can cause effects.

Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on yours, but it can do big damage to a dog in much smaller quantities.

Even a small amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, central nervous system depression, problems with coordination, difficulty breathing, comas, and even death. And just like humans, the smaller the dog, the greater the effect.

Tea, Coffee & other Caffeine – Caffeine is a stimulant and can be dangerous to your beloved pet. Much like alcohol, dogs are much more sensitive to the effects of stimulants such as caffeine, though a few little licks of tea or coffee won’t do any major damage.

 If your pooch manages to eat a good amount of coffee beans or loose tea, they could be very poorly.  Caffeine can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system in dogs.

Within hours of consuming caffeine, dogs may experience restlessness, excessive thirst, a lack of bladder control, vomiting and diarrhoea. If dogs ingest too much caffeine, they can experience abnormal heart rhythm or lung failure, which can ultimately lead to death.

Caffeine isn’t just found in hot drinks, Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also in some cold medicines and pain killers. Make sure these things are not left unattended around your dog, it’s not worth the risk.

Chocolate – Chocolate is probably the most widely known food that you need to keep well away from our dog. Chocolate is VERY toxic and dangerous for your dog. If you suspect your pooch has even had a small amount of chocolate you need to get in touch with your vet. Just to make sure they’re ok.

Just lie caffeine, chocolate is also a stimulant. The amount and type of chocolate your dog consumes determines the symptoms and toxicity level he will experience. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased thirst, abdominal discomfort, lethargy, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature, seizures, and death.

The darker the chocolate is (for instance, baker’s chocolate or cocoa powder), the more dangerous it is to your puppy. They contain a higher concentration of caffeine and theobromine, both of which cause toxicosis in dogs.

It is especially important to be vigilant during certain holidays; Valentine’s day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas have a lot of chocolate involved. Unlike cats, dogs don’t necessarily have an “off Switch” when it comes to certain foods; they will pretty much eat whatever is in front of them.

Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is in a lot of different foods and drinks including some candies, chewing gum, toothpaste, diet foods and drinks. This sweetener is more commonly found in foods and rinks in America, but it does appear in a few over here in the UK and other countries.

Xylitol causes a sudden increase in insulin circulation that can result in a severe drop in blood sugar and even liver failure. Early symptoms include repeated vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination that can evolve into seizures.

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, a 10-pound dog would only need to eat a single piece of sugar-free gum to reach a potentially toxic dose. Dogs that ingest large amounts of xylitol can also develop liver failure.

 If you suspect that your dog has consumed anything that might contain Xylitol it is important that you contact your vet immediately.

Liver failure from xylitol ingestion can occur within just a few days, so don’t forget to put the cap back on the toothpaste in the morning.

Macadamia Nuts – This might not be very well one, but just a handful of macadamia nuts can cause your dog to become sick. It is actually unknown why macadamia nuts are so toxic to dogs, they contain an unknown toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs, and panting.

Within 12 hours of ingestion, macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and increased body temperature. These symptoms tend to last for approximately 12 to 48 hours.

Combining these nuts with chocolate increases the risk of death, so be very careful with foods such as cookies or chocolate bars that contain these nuts too.

Grapes and Raisins etc – Some fruits and vegetable can be really healthy treats fir dogs, but grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas are ones to stay away from.

It is important to note that poisoning can happen from eating raw grapes and raisins, or from eating them as ingredients in baked goods like cookies, cakes, and snack bars. Watch for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, fatigue, and depression.

These may be followed by signs of kidney failure, such as excessive thirst and very little urine production.

While the toxic substance in grapes and raisins is unknown, it can cause kidney failure in sensitive individuals. Dogs that already have underlying health problems are at greatest risk and just one raisin can be severely toxic. Experts agree that there is no “safe” dose of grapes and raisins.

Onions and Garlic – Anything from the onion family is toxic to dogs, from garlic and onions to scallions, shallots, and chives.

Garlic is a controversial ingredient; it has many medicinal purposes, and it is an immune booster, but the potential risks outweigh the benefits. Both onion and garlic contain a substance that can damage and/or destroy a dog’s red blood cells, potentially leading to anaemia. In severe cases, dogs will need a blood transfusion.

Garlic is considered to be five times as potent as onions. Signs of onion or garlic poisoning often do not appear for several days after ingestion, but include lethargy, weakness, and orange- to dark red-tinged urine.

Prompt treatment is important. If your dog does eat any amount, contact your veterinarian immediately.

It is important not to let your dog eat any foods that contain these fruits, such as hot cross buns, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, fruit cake, mince pies, stollen etc.

Avocado – Avocado can be a tasty, healthy and energy boosting snack for humans, not so much for your dog. Avocados contain a toxin called Persin which is perfectly safe for humans but toxic to dogs.

If a dog eats these, fluid may accumulate in the dog’s lungs and chest. This can make it difficult for them to breathe, which can lead to oxygen deprivation and even death.

Fluid can also accumulate in the heart, pancreas, and abdomen, which can lead to other fatal complications.

If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit. Also, the avocado seed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.

Salt – Salt in great quantities can be toxic & harmful to humans as well as dogs. As dogs tend to be smaller than us, it can be much easier for dogs to become sick from too much salt consumption. It’s not a good idea to share snack foods such as crisps/chips, pretzels, popcorn etc.

Eating too much salt could lead to your dog being incredibly thirsty or dehydrated.

Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhoea, depression, tremors, high temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death.

You should always make sure our dog has access to fresh drinking water, despite them eating salty foods or not.

Cooked Bones – Though bones are not considered toxic, hey are dangerous. If you do choose to give your dog a bone be sure to watch them whilst they eat. Avoid cooked bones which splinter more easily, or bones that are small enough to get stuck in their intestines.

When cooked, all bones become brittle and can easily splinter. Eating chicken, turkey or goose carcasses may cause larger pieces of bone to cause an obstruction, or smaller pieces. These can cause injury.

Eating large quantities of bone can often cause constipation, so try to monitor the amount your dog manages to consume.

Please do bear in mind that everything in this post is strictly advisory and has been gathered from various reputable sources from the internet. We’re not vets, and you should always seek professional advice if you ever have concerns.

Thanks for reading. If you have anything that you would like us to cover, then feel free to get in touch with us over on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!
Apr 13 2021
by Claire