Dangerous Household Items for Dogs

Dangerous Household Items for Dogs

 

If you think of dangerous household items, especially for dogs, you’d be forgiven for thinking only of things like knives scissors, bleach etc. And whilst they ARE dangerous, there may be a few things in your home you’re not aware of as being toxic or dangerous for your beloved pup. Making sure your home is safe for your dog begins with identifying these things!

Pest-Control Products – Household and garden pests such as rats, slugs and ants can be a real nuisance and using harsh chemicals and products might feel like the only way to tackle them. But unsurprisingly, the chemicals that can kill them, can kill, or harm your dog too. Slug pellets can cause seizures and death, rat poisons is extremely nasty and causes a very painful death too.

All of these products are designed to be attractive to pests and will be to your pup as well. Don’t keep these in your house, garden, or garage. Anywhere your pooch can get to, keep them well away.

Antifreeze – Be careful where you store antifreeze. If ingested buy your dog, can cause fatal kidney failure. The main ingredient in antifreeze (ethylene glycol) tastes sweet and can be attractive you’re your dog if its spilt on the floor or left open. Make sure that any bottles are stored securely and away from where your dog can access and mop up all spills immediately.

Chocolate – This one is actually a pretty obvious one, and something we’ve shared before in Toxic Food for Dogs but is worth mentioning again. Most dog owners know (and all definitely should) know that chocolate is incredibly toxic to our lovely pooches. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, seizures, even death if ingested in large quantities. If you do have chocolate at home, never leave it unattended when your do is around.

Cleaning Products – Things like bleach, window cleaners, bathroom and kitchen leaning products are mostly kept in lower cupboards. This is perfect dog/child/pet height. Most, if not all, of these kinds of products are toxic to animals (and people) if ingested. If you’re cleaning floors, make sure they’re completely dry before letting your dog walk on them. Ensure that the products are kept somewhere your dog can’t get to and even switch to pet-friendly products if you’re able to. This will get rid of all the worry and potential for mishaps!

Medication – This goes for both human and pet meds! A lot of human medications, such a painkillers, anti-depressants, cough syrups etc. are potentially very dangerous to dogs. These medications should be kept up high and well away from anywhere your dog can chew on them.

If your dog, or another pet in the house, are on meds too they should also be kept somewhere secure. Though they’re designed for your dog, over-dosing can be a risk.

Batteries – This is another item you might automatically think of when it comes to dangerous household objects. Chewing on and swallowing batteries will result in burns, ulcers, stomach damage and even death. Keep them secure and don’t ever leave batteries lying around.

Please do bear in mind that everything in this post is strictly advisory and has been gathered from various reputable sources from the internet. We're not vets, and you should always seek professional advice if you ever have concerns.

 

Thanks for reading. If you have anything that you would like us to cover, then feel free to get in touch with us over on our FacebookTwitter or Instagram!

 

Aug 20 2021
by Claire